2012 AmeriSchools Bike Club
A thank you to our sponsors:
I personally want to thank each of you for your support of our future, our students. Inner city
kids struggle in many different ways and they are very appreciative of any assistance that comes
their way. The bike club, in its 4th year, makes incredible strides from year to year. A few
highlights from this year are the following:
- Record initial turnout of 24 students
- Currently at 15 members, with 9 riding fairly consistently (poor grades and other conflicts)
- Out of the 23 meetings we’ve had, one student has one and four have missed just two.
- Five students are geared up to complete over 100 miles. Last year the students completed just under 80 miles from September to April. There are four more scheduled rides for the season.
Aside from monies donated which help with the upkeep of the bikes and other
supplies, the students have been furnished helmets, gloves, water bottles, socks
and a real bike shirt (loaned from the school).
Many bikes received new street tires and tubes and replacement brake pads.
Currently, six bikes have off-road tires and tubes.
Four student members will be presenting an introduction/safety related program to
our kindergartens and first graders this next month.
My sincere thanks go out to all our sponsors for allowing our students to participate in a healthy
activity and making them feel like they are a part of something.
Gary LeBlanc, Superintendent
Greetings AmeriSchools Bike Club Supporters!
The club is coming along quite nicely with 4 major rides under our belts (longest 7.5 miles) and more to come. Membership has dropped a bit due to other school related conflicts, but it is still hovering around 16 with 9 or more consistantly riding. The students have been equipped with a bike, helmet, gloves, water bottles and great new bike shirts. Rides are scheduled each week and we are planning two special rides. One is the "Link the Lake" ride on December 4 and the other is the "Ride for the Children" in April 2011. This past weekend we rode to the Berlatsky Bridge which the kids really enjoyed. Please take a look at the pictures.
Gary LeBlanc, Superintendent
Greetings Fellow Bicycling Supporters!
The AmeriSchools Bike Club is up and running. After much disappointment last year, we have started this year with most everything in place. We have approximately 20 kids that have joined the club. Following are the accomplishments thus far:
1. Three club meetings (21, 20 and 19 members respectively!)
2. Election of officer's. The club will be hosting some fundraiser activities, developing and presenting appreciation certificates and attending at least one ABC Board meeting.
3. Total of 22 bikes in house. The bike donations have really come through this year with assistance from Sheila Foraker (Perimeter Bike Club in Tucson), ABC members and Dominic's bike Shop in Tempe. Thank you all.
4. Tru-Fit Bike helmets ordered from Bell.
5. Solicitations to 5 different organizations to help us secure "real" bike shirts with logo's, pockets and BRIGHT YELLOW
6. Three Tax Donations (ABC members) received thus far totaling $525.00, a $20 cash donation (ABC member) and three pending verbal contributors (AZ Coalition, three ABC members). These donations should help with the costs of the bike refurbishings, shirts, gloves and misc. items that will be needed.
7. Donation from ABC that includes an ABC Family Membership for all members, insulated water bottles and socks (yeah Sylvia!)
8. Posting of October scheduled events which I have attached for your reference.
In any folks can assist me in working with the kids on the Monday's noted as well as their first ride on the 30th, that would be great!!
Thanks again for to all for helping these inner city kids be a part of something.
Did you know you can donate to this chapter from our website? Donate Now
It's tax deductable!
AmeriSchools Bike Club Photos